Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dakota

Well, we found out last week that our sweet Golden Retriever, Dakota, has cancer. She is 9 years old and has had a very healthy and happy life. I was petting her last week and felt her lymph glands on her neck and they were very enlarged. I was hoping for the best when I took her in, but I had a sinking feeling. Sure enough, all of her lymph nodes/glands were enlarged and she was diagnosed with Lymphoma. My poor baby. She was my baby long before Grace and Thatcer came along. It will be very hard to see her go. She has been THE perfect pet, other than shedding, and she just couldn't have been sweeter or more gentle with the kids. The doctor said it won't take long, and that steroids will mask her symptoms and make her comfortable for awhile. In the meantime, her breathing is becoming a little more labored. At the first serious signs of her illness, we will take her in so that she's not in pain and so that we don't have to watch her suffer. Even now, it makes me cry. She will be missed!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Hey Kelly,

Sorry to hear about Dakota. I will be praying for you. If you need a shoulder to cry on give me a call. We have been down that walk before with our first G. Shepherd and just lost our second to old age. Let me know if you need anything.

Mimi

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker