Friday, May 8, 2009

PACKING AND MORE PACKING...

Okay, I'm so ready to be DONE packing and get this show on the road! If I have to open one more box of medication or stick one more thing in a baggie, I'm going to keel over and die. AAAHH. I'm over it! Now then, enough complaining. I think it's all packed. We had to omit a few things (like pedialyte - way too heavy) and granola bars (but we're already taking a slew of them) so I feel pretty good about it. I included a picture of our bags. HUGE! Our main concern right now is that our duffle bags will be allowed on Ethiopian airlines. They have a 62" rule (L,W,H combined) and our duffles are slightly over those dimensions. Sean weighed them at work and we managed to get them within the 50 lb mark. Please pray with us that all will go smoothly.

In our duffles, we packed the humanitarian aid items for Gladney (diapers, wipes, bottles, A&D, Purell, couple of new baby outfits), the 75 baggies full of stuffed animals and goodies, about 30 hand-made baby dolls (here's the newest addition from a neighbor), and backpacks full of fun things for our sponsored children.

In our suitcases we packed our clothes as well as clothing for Ava and Malachi, all in vacuum-sealed bags. Those things are so cool! The kids thought it was like a science experiment and were so sad when I had finished. Also, the meds for us and kiddos, and food. 3 families mailed us some small items to take to their babies and we're so happy to deliver them!


Our carry-ons have our important documents, travel pillows, diapers, wipes and toys galore. Unfortunately, Ethiopian airlines also weighs your carry-on, so my idea of stashing all the heavy stuff in those was OUT. But I MUST bring toys for A and M! We can't take them out and about much, so I'm bringing a couple of books, cars, rattles, bubbles, ball, and those cool Baby Einsten flashcards that have mirrors on one side. I think they're the Discover Me cards. So cute!

My Mom comes in today, and our sweet friend who will care for the children is coming as well. I'm in a bit of a funk- I keep looking around at things to do, and my body says "too tired", but my inner strength says "I think I can, I think I can...".

Tomorrow, we'll be heading out of d.c in the evening and all this packing will be a distant memory. Woohoo! I'm bringing some great music on my ipod, and my mom's bringing games on hers, so that should help us pass some time, and I bought the book from the Bottomlys entitled: "Ashes to Africa". I'm really looking forward to reading their story. This is a great time for me to recommend my new favorite cd. It's called "Sing Over Me" and is a mixture of worship/lullabies. I want to listen to it all day everyday. Check it out and see what I mean.

We will try to check in with our babysitter, and if she can find time to post, she'll try to add some updates. There won't be much, because we decided not to take a computer. We'll be sending her a few emails from Sean's Blackberry. I'm planning to journal and when life settles down around here (like next year : ), I'll post about our trip.

Again, thank you for ALL your prayers. The Lord has been so faithful, and we are encouraged by His presence every step of the way.

Oh, one last thing. Everytime we sing this song in church, I have a melt-down when I get to the second verse. Even when I'm on the worship team in front of our church- not pretty. But I love the song. It's by Bob Kauflin and is a Sovereign Grace song. You'll see, when you read the second verse, why it ministers to me so much. This journey has been long, but I knew the Lord's purpose was at work, and His mercy was sufficient...

A DEBTOR TO MERCY ALONE

A debtor to mercy alone
Of covenant mercy I sing
I come with Your righteousness on
My humble offering to bring
The judgments of Your holy law
With me can have nothing to do
My Savior's obedience and blood
Hide all my transgressions
From view
The work which Your goodness began
The arm of Your strength will complete
Your promise is yes and amen
And never was forfeited yet
The future or things that are now
No power below or above
Can make You Your purpose forego
Or sever my soul from Your love

My name from the palms of Your hands
Eternity will not erase
Impressed on Your heart it remains
In marks of indelible grace
Yes I, to the end will endure
Until I bow down at Your throne
Forever and always secure
A debtor to mercy alone

8 comments:

Robin said...

Kelly: Have a wonderful trip!!! I am so excited for you guys!!!!

Elisabeth said...

Be safe and have a wonderful trip and thank you from the bottom of our heart for taking our package to our youngn.

Peace and blessings!!

Sarah said...

our prayers with you as you go. here's to hoping your (understandable) exhaustion will be replaced with energy for all that is ahead.
the wolfe family

Jennifer said...

You are covered in prayer as you go pick up your babies. Thanks for sharing your heart. Can't wait to see pictures and hear "your story". We are excited for you!

Steph Watson said...

Kelly and Sean,
Godspeed. Can't wait to hear stories and see more pics of M & A with G & T when you get back.

Unknown said...

Dear Kelly and Sean, Prayers and blessings for all the details of your long trip and special strength for the long journey. My Marty will be in the special angelic envoy that surrounds you. May you hearts be filled with peace. Love,Your cousin Margot Cameron

emily said...

Have a great trip!! Tell your mom hi for me. I hope to meet your crew on a trip to Texas sometime. :)

Mimi said...

praying for you guys! so excited to meet the little ones:)

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker